The 1 Topic has just finished, presentation was posted on the ONL172 community and our group site (PBL13). And what now? Yes, indeed, it is time for reflection. Time to think what I have learned, how I regard ONL in general, who am I in the digital world, how far I want to go in gaining digital knowledge and abilities.

It turned out that I am not that bad using digital tools and computers in the broad meaning. Previously when something did not work properly in the area of foggy computer world I always called someone to ask for help – now I at least try to solve the problem on my own. For me, it is the first small success. It also turned out that looking around in the digital world and searching for something that would suit my needs gives me joy. Now, I might be becoming a well-settled visitor (good introduction to visitor vs resident can be found here), long way to become a resident. And even I am trying to use the virtual sheet of paper to write my notes, instead of elaborates done with the pen. Another small success.


Going back to the concept of visitor vs resident, I prepared my version of the well-known graph (David White youtube lecture). Some new tools will for sure appear on the graph after he ONL172 course, and possibly a slight rearrangement will take place. 



I have also come across Davide White’s (why him again? – he explains everything in a simple but at the same time absorbing way) twitter and blog. One of the posts treated about visualising the teacher/students digital practices with the use of Visitor vs Resident mode. It led me to his publication with Alison Le Cornu [1]. My digital presence would be marked with V according to their division into ‘engagement genre’ templates. I might be checking whether it changes during the next year – could be an interesting experience.

Almost finishing I have come across funny (but how true!) infographics, that treat about digital skills of the youngsters (almost digital residents from the very beginning). 

https://www.flickr.com/photos/officialavg/5865973283/, CC BY-NC-ND 2.0


The second one that is available here is about digital footprints that we all leave, whether we like it or no. Being raised up in the times when facebook did not exist, I can be 100% sure that no (un)wanted content (pictures, silly comments, traces from online shopping) from the first 18 years of my life could be found in the web. Nowadays children have their digital history being created from the very beginning (81% of 2-years old have already their digital footprint - [2]). Wanted or not.

Another aspect that ONL172 has impact on my life is language. On a daily basis I use my mother tongue which is Polish language. Of course I read articles, write e-mails (plenty e-mails) and other stuff in English, but my spoken English is not that often practiced and that is a big pity. Now, there are plenty of occasions to practice!

[1] Using ‘Visitors and Residents’ to visualise digital practices by David S. White and Alison Le Cornu. First Monday, Volume 22, Number 8 – 7 August 2017, http://firstmonday.org/ojs/index.php/fm/article/view/7802/6515, doi: http://dx.doi.org/10.5210/fm.v22i18.7802
[2] https://www.flickr.com/photos/officialavg/5865972925/

Komentarze

  1. The online world is indeed very complex but you seem to be making progress and as you move forward you will find new doors that open for you. The key to everything is a healthy curiosity, patience and not being afraid of trial and error.

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  2. Hi Katarzyna, I had a good chuckle with your post - you make a number of observant and humorous observations. Like you I too have left very little in the way of digital footprints - for the main part because the only footprints I COULD leave were on the beach. I look forward to sharing this journey into digital residency with you!

    PS: I hope that OPUBLIKUJ means POST? Here goes ...

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  3. Dear Antoine, indeed OPUBLIKUJ means post - it seems that I have to change the language settings. Anyway it is very nice to hear that my post was not that boring ;)

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  4. Dear Alastair, I am patient up to a specific point - I loose my patience when something I was working on or searching for, disappears and I am not able to restore it or find once again!
    Thanks for the comment!

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  5. Nice visitor - resident graph, as you say it will interesting to compar the changes over time :) mine should look similar to yours except whatsapp and youtube would go to resident mode

    OdpowiedzUsuń
  6. Kasia, I like this approach to the subject. In my case the grapf significantly tilts to the left :/ At the end of this course I will do the test again :)

    OdpowiedzUsuń

Prześlij komentarz

Popularne posty z tego bloga

Topic three (3) wait for me!

Thoughts on blended learning - Topic 4